Guest post by Milica Vladova
Summer is coming really fast and the sunlight is getting stronger.
Generally, sun exposure is very beneficial for us, especially if we work long hours in an office with artificial lighting. Natural sunlight stimulates vitamin D production in the body. And as we know, vitamin D is extremely important for developing our bone structure, boosting our natural immune system, and even healing from and preventing depression and anxiety!
On the other hand, it is also very important to take sun baths with caution and to always use sunscreen. The rule also applies in winter when the snow reflects the sun rays even more strongly. Unfortunately, most commercial sunscreens contain lots of unhealthy and toxic substances that may do us more harm than good.
The most common of them are
- Parabens - they cause skin irritations and rashes. Our bodies also recognize these chemicals as estrogen-alike and they can throw the endocrine system off balance, possibly causing breast and ovarian cancer;
- Petroleum derivatives - these chemicals have no nourishing properties for the skin and they hamper our natural moisturizing mechanisms, causing dryness and cracking skin;
- Synthetic coloring - most of them have proven carcinogenic properties;
- Synthetic aromas – they can cause headaches, dizziness, rashes, hyper pigmentation, cough, and even nausea.
and many more…
What is the natural alternative?
Thankfully, Mother Nature has provided plenty of organic non-toxic alternatives.
For example, cold pressed oils have a natural sun blocking factor. Simply applying oils and butters can easily work as a sunscreen for most cases. The oils with most powerful sun protection are
- Carrot seed oil – SPF 38-40;
- Raspberry seed oil – SPF 28-50;
- Wheat germ oil – SPF 20.
But this is not all! To make sure you have prepared properly for your summer vacation on the beach, you can add one special natural ingredient that will shield you from excessive radiation: zinc oxide! It is the ultimate natural sun block, powerful but also possessing some wonderful healing properties. It is good for treating acne, skin inflammations, rashes, allergies, warts, and other ailments. It can be applied on people from all ages – from small kids (against napkin rashes) to mature adults (for anti-aging treatments) (but please read this warning before applying).
Make sure you use high quality non-nano zinc oxide (so that it won’t clog the pores).
Don’t know how to make your own non-toxic sunscreen?
Just follow the instructions below! I will share two of my favorite natural sun block recipes with you…
Homemade Sunscreen Lotion (without zinc oxide)
- 2 Tbsps. Shea butter
- 1 Tbsp. Jojoba oil
- 3 Tbsps. Cocoa butter
- 1 Tbsp. Avocado oil
- 1 Tbsp. Raspberry seed oil
- Mix all ingredients in a double boiler and stir until they melt and blend completely.
- Store the cream in a glass container in a dark and cool place.
Homemade Sunscreen Lotion (with zinc oxide)
- 2 Tbsps. Coconut butter
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. Shea butter
- 1/2 tsp. Wheat germ oil
- 3-4 drops Vitamin E oil
- 30 drops Essential oil of choice (avoid the citrus ones)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. Zinc oxide (non-nano)
- Melt the coconut butter, shea butter and wheat germ oil in a double boiler. Add the zinc oxide and blend well.
- Next, take the mixture off the heat and let it cool off just a little bit.
- Add the vitamin E oil and the essential oil and stir well.
The shelf life of this sunscreen is about 6 months in the fridge.
If you liked my summer non-toxic sunscreen recipes, please share them with your friends and family!
How do you prepare for the hot season in an organic and natural way? I am eager to read your feedback!
Milica Vladova is a blogger, writer, holistic living and personal development enthusiast. She is the author of Toxin-free Homemade Easy Beauty Recipes and The Healthy Detox and Strong Immunity Series. You can find her at